- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Declining America?
Question of the Day
America is in a state of decline, and may have reached an irreversible tipping point. Due to a major shift in cultural dynamics and significant changes in demographics, America is experiencing an irreversible decline. This decline is both economic and moral in nature.
The response to violent urban riots serve as a good example of this decline. During the 1965 Watts riots in Los Angeles, looters and rioters were shot on the spot. Civil insurrection and looting were not tolerated. In 1992 during the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, looters were allowed to freely enter and exit businesses with merchandise, and burn widespread parts of the city to the ground, with no interference from law enforcement. During Hurricane Katrina's looting in 2005, some law enforcement personnel actually participated in the looting. Have the rules of society changed during these years? You bet they have.
In large part these changes result from an increased entitlement/welfare culture that exists in American society. The Judeo-Christian ideals that inspired traditional American cultural and political and moral values are on the wane. A liberal, progressive, secular and permissive cultural trend has undermined the central core of these traditional American values.
While enough Americans with a traditional sense of values may temporarily arrest this decline, I believe that the current demographisc and cultural pattern spell decline for America in the long run.
North Las Vegas, Nev.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Pro-Russia rebel commander suggests passengers died days before Malaysian flight
- TYRRELL: The birth of a new alignment in the Middle East
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama