- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Declining America?
America is in a state of decline, and may have reached an irreversible tipping point. Due to a major shift in cultural dynamics and significant changes in demographics, America is experiencing an irreversible decline. This decline is both economic and moral in nature.
The response to violent urban riots serve as a good example of this decline. During the 1965 Watts riots in Los Angeles, looters and rioters were shot on the spot. Civil insurrection and looting were not tolerated. In 1992 during the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, looters were allowed to freely enter and exit businesses with merchandise, and burn widespread parts of the city to the ground, with no interference from law enforcement. During Hurricane Katrina's looting in 2005, some law enforcement personnel actually participated in the looting. Have the rules of society changed during these years? You bet they have.
In large part these changes result from an increased entitlement/welfare culture that exists in American society. The Judeo-Christian ideals that inspired traditional American cultural and political and moral values are on the wane. A liberal, progressive, secular and permissive cultural trend has undermined the central core of these traditional American values.
While enough Americans with a traditional sense of values may temporarily arrest this decline, I believe that the current demographisc and cultural pattern spell decline for America in the long run.
North Las Vegas, Nev.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Get Breaking Alerts
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- House votes for bargain to end budget drama
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service