- - Wednesday, May 2, 2012

DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO

KINSHASA — Nearly 5,000 people, mostly women, children and the elderly, have been displaced because of fighting in Congo’s North Kivu province, the U.N. refugee agency said Wednesday.

Clashes between Congo’s army and former rebels who joined the army but then deserted have continued for days in the Masisi region of North Kivu.

Early in April, several senior military and former members of the CNDP rebel group defected from the army and regrouped as a rebel force. A local official, however, says it has reclaimed several villages in an offensive launched against the rebels.

The U.N. High Commission for Refugees this week counted at least 2,725 internally displaced Congolese and more than 2,092 refugees who fled the fighting for Rwanda.

Meanwhile, the government on Thursday blamed ex-rebel leader Jean-Bosco Ntaganda for the clashes, but Mr. Ntaganda has denied any involvement in the latest fighting.

Mr. Ntaganda was indicted on war-crimes charges in 2006 by the International Criminal Court for using child soldiers.

SOMALIA

Suicide bomber kills politicians in restaurant

MOGADISHU — A suicide bomber killed at least six people including two lawmakers in an attack in the central Somali town of Dhusamareb, officials said this week.

Witnesses said a man entered a restaurant, where lawmakers on Tuesday were meeting with the public over lunch to discuss the setting up of a regional administration, before blowing himself up.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack in the Dhusamareb, a strategic town in the central Galgadud region, which pro-government forces wrested back from al Qaeda-allied al-Shabab terrorists last month.

ZIMBABWE

Workers accuse Chinese bosses of mistreatment

HARARE — The government is investigating persistent reports of rampant abuse of workers by Chinese employers.

Story Continues →