- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Md. gay-marriage opponents mark progress toward signature goal
ANNAPOLIS — Opponents of Maryland’s same-sex marriage law said Wednesday they have collected more than half the signatures necessary to force a November referendum.
The Maryland Marriage Alliance says it has collected more than 30,000 signatures from voters hoping to overturn the law, which was passed in February by the General Assembly and signed by Democratic Gov. Martin O'Malley.
Petitioners have until June 30 to collect 55,736 valid voter signatures, which must be validated by the state Board of Elections. They must submit one-third of those signatures — or 18,579 of them — by May 31.
Maryland is the eighth state to pass legislation allowing gay marriage, but its law is not scheduled to go into effect until January.
The Maryland Marriage Alliance has led opposition to the law, along with state Republicans and religious groups.
Supporters and opponents have acknowledged the law is likely to go to referendum, and polls have shown Maryland voters to be almost evenly divided on the issue.
No state has ever upheld gay marriage in a referendum, but more than 30 states have rejected it.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Hill joined The Washington Times in February 2011 as a Maryland political reporter. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Md. drivers could face eventual doubling of gas tax
- Federal appeals court restores Maryland's concealed carry law
- Md. bill would end student suspensions for mimicking gun behavior
- Maryland Senate passes bill decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana
- Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell assailed on transportation
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again