- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Md. gay-marriage opponents mark progress toward signature goal
ANNAPOLIS — Opponents of Maryland’s same-sex marriage law said Wednesday they have collected more than half the signatures necessary to force a November referendum.
The Maryland Marriage Alliance says it has collected more than 30,000 signatures from voters hoping to overturn the law, which was passed in February by the General Assembly and signed by Democratic Gov. Martin O’Malley.
Petitioners have until June 30 to collect 55,736 valid voter signatures, which must be validated by the state Board of Elections. They must submit one-third of those signatures — or 18,579 of them — by May 31.
Maryland is the eighth state to pass legislation allowing gay marriage, but its law is not scheduled to go into effect until January.
The Maryland Marriage Alliance has led opposition to the law, along with state Republicans and religious groups.
Supporters and opponents have acknowledged the law is likely to go to referendum, and polls have shown Maryland voters to be almost evenly divided on the issue.
No state has ever upheld gay marriage in a referendum, but more than 30 states have rejected it.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Hill joined The Washington Times in February 2011 as a Maryland political reporter. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Md. drivers could face eventual doubling of gas tax
- Federal appeals court restores Maryland's concealed carry law
- Md. bill would end student suspensions for mimicking gun behavior
- Maryland Senate passes bill decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana
- Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell assailed on transportation
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.