The military is underreporting the number of times that Afghan soldiers and police open fire on American and other foreign troops.
While the U.S.-led coalition routinely reports each time an American or other foreign soldier is killed by an Afghan in uniform, the Associated Press has learned that it does not report insider attacks in which an Afghan wounds - or misses - his U.S. or allied target. It also does not report the wounding of troops who were with those who were killed.
Such attacks reveal a level of mistrust and ill will between the U.S.-led coalition and its Afghan counterparts in an increasingly unpopular war. The U.S. and its military partners are working more closely with Afghan troops in preparation for handing off security responsibility to them by the end of 2014.
In recent weeks, an Afghan soldier opened fire on a group of U.S. soldiers but didn’t hit anyone. The Americans quickly killed him. Not a word about this was reported by the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), as the coalition is formally known. It was disclosed to the AP by a U.S. official who was granted anonymity in order to give a fuller picture of the “insider” problem.
ISAF also said nothing about last week’s attack in which two Afghan policemen in Kandahar province fired on U.S. soldiers, wounding two. Reporters learned of it from Afghan officials and from U.S. officials in Washington. The two Afghan policemen were fatally shot by the Americans present.
Just last Wednesday, an attack that killed an Army special forces soldier, Staff Sgt. Andrew T. Brittonmihalo, 25, of Simi Valley, Calif., also wounded three other U.S. soldiers. The death was reported by ISAF as an insider attack, but it made no mention of the wounded - or that an Afghan civilian also was killed.
The attacker was an Afghan special forces soldier who opened fire with a machine gun at a base in Kandahar province. He was killed by return fire.
That attack apparently was the first by a member of the Afghan special forces, who are more closely vetted than conventional Afghan forces and often are described by American officials as the most effective and reliable in the Afghan military.
Coalition officials do not dispute that such nonfatal attacks happen, but they have not provided a full accounting.
The insider threat has existed for years, but it has grown more deadly. Last year, there were 21 fatal attacks that killed 35 coalition service members, according to ISAF figures. That compares with 11 fatal attacks and 20 deaths the previous year. In 2007 and 2008, there were a combined total of four attacks and four deaths.
ISAF has released brief descriptions of each of the fatal attacks for 2012, but it says similar information for fatal attacks in 2011 is considered classified and therefore cannot be released.
Jamie Graybeal, an ISAF spokesman in Kabul, disclosed Monday in response to repeated AP requests that in addition to 10 fatal insider attacks so far this year, there have been two others that resulted in no deaths or injuries, plus one attack that resulted in wounded, for a total of 13 attacks. The three nonfatal attacks previously had not been reported.
Mr. Graybeal also disclosed that in most of the 10 fatal attacks several other ISAF troops were wounded. By policy, the fact that the attacks resulted in wounded as well as a fatality is not reported, he said.
Asked to explain why nonfatal insider attacks are not reported, Mr. Graybeal said the coalition does not disclose them because it does not have consent from all coalition governments to do so.
“All releases must be consistent with the national policies of troop contributing nations,” he said.