CAIRO — Several hundred Egyptians, including a presidential candidate, began a 24-hour hunger strike on Sunday to protest the continued detention of about 300 people rounded up in a mass arrest who face possible military prosecution.
The protest comes as presidential elections this week are supposed to lead to Egypt’s ruling military council stepping down, but many fear that the generals will continue their use of military tribunals to try civilians and target opponents.
The military says that the courts are essential for keeping order in the turbulent aftermath of the 2011 toppling of Hosni Mubarak in a popular uprising. Critics say the tribunals are used to suppress dissent, and human rights groups say the military trials are a violation of international law.
In the latest demonstration, activists, journalists and others gathered at the Journalists Union in Cairo to show support for those detained in a sweeping roundup by the military following a violent protest earlier this month outside the Ministry of Defense. One soldier was killed in the protest. The mass arrest and referral to military prosecution was the largest since Mr. Mubarak’s overthrow.
On Saturday, the New York-based Human Rights Watch said the detainees were beaten and tortured.
“Military officers have no sense of limits on what they can do,” the group said.
An estimated 11,000 civilians have been sent before military tribunals since Mr. Mubarak’s fall. The issue has become a major point of conflict between the ruling generals who took over from Mr. Mubarak and the revolutionary groups who led the uprising against him.
Khaled Ali, 40, a presidential candidate who represents to many the face of the youth movement, said he is joining the 24-hour strike. Mr. Ali is the youngest of 13 candidates in the two-day election that begins Wednesday.
Other well-known protesters were lawmaker Ziad el-Oleimi, one of the leading figures in the 2011 uprising.
Nazly Hussein, a member of an activist group called No to Military Trials, said an undetermined number of the nearly 300 people still in detention have joined the hunger strike. She said some of them have refused food since Sunday.
“We decided to join them in the strike to let them know they are not alone, and that we will not forget them because of the presidential elections,” she said.
Military authorities have released fewer than a hundred of those detained, including a handful of journalists and a dozen women pending investigation. They can still face trial on charges including attacking troops and disrupting public order.
Many activists had hoped that Egypt’s newly elected parliament would curtail the use of military trials. However, while legislation passed earlier this month limited the powers of the next president to refer civilians to trial, it allowed the military to refer civilians to trial at its discretion.
By Rand Paul
Obama acts as though we no longer have a Constitution
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
First over-the-counter column approved for fast and effective relief from even your worst media-induced headache.
Challenge the political status quo. Realize that you make better decisions than the bureaucrats in D.C.?
A politically conservative and morally liberal Hebrew alpha male hunts left-wing viper
Sometimes life requires a paradigm twist.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention
California wildfires wreak havoc