- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
SANDS: Nakamura, Krush reclaim U.S. chess titles
Question of the Day
Kamsky-Nakamura, U.S. Championships, May 2012
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. a4 e5 7. Nf3 Be7 8. Bc4 O-O 9. O-O Be6 10. Bb3 Nc6 11. Bg5 Na5 12. Bxf6 Bxf6 13. Bd5 Rc8 14. Nd2 Qc7 15. Re1 Bg5 16. Nf1 Qb6 17. Rb1 Nc4 18. Qe2 Bh6 19. h4 Qb4 20. g3 Rc7 21. Kg2 Nb6 22. Bb3 Bxb3 23. cxb3 Qxb3 24. a5 Na4 25. Nh2 g6 26. Ng4 Bg7 27. Nd5 Rc2 28. Qe3 Nc5 29. h5 Qxe3 30. Ngxe3 Rd2 31. Nc4 Rd4 32. Nxd6 Rd8 33. b4 Nd3 34. Nxb7 Nxe1+ 35. Rxe1 Ra8 36. f3 Bf8 37. Rc1 Bxb4 38. Rc7 gxh5 39. Kh3 Kg7 40. Kh4 Ra7 41. Kxh5 Rxd5 42. exd5 Bxa5 43. Re7 Bb6 44. d6 a5 45. Kg5 a4 46. Kf5 a3 47. Nd8 a2 48. Ne6+ Kh6 49. Ng5 a1=Q 50. Nxf7+ Kg7 White resigns.
1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Bf5 5. Ng3 Bg6 6. h4 h6 7. Nf3 Nd7 8. h5 Bh7 9. Bd3 Bxd3 10. Qxd3 e6 11. Bd2 Ngf6 12. O-O-O Be7 13. Ne4 Nxe4 14. Qxe4 Nf6 15. Qd3 O-O 16. Kb1 c5 17. g4 Nxg4 18. Qe2 Kh8 19. Rhg1 Nf6 20. dxc5 Qc7 21. Ne5 Bxc5 22. Bxh6 gxh6 23. Rd7 Qxd7 24. Nxd7 Nxd7 25. Qd2 Kh7 26. b4 Rad8 27. bxc5 Nf6 28. Qf4 Ne8 29. Qe4+ Kh8 30. Qxb7 Ng7 31. Qxa7 Rc8 32. Rd1 Nf5 33. Rd7 Kg7 34. a4 Kf6 35. a5 Black resigns.
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. f3 c5 4. d5 d6 5. e4 Bg7 6. Ne2 O-O 7. Nec3 Nh5 8. Bg5 Bf6 9. Bxf6 exf6 10. Qd2 f5 11. exf5 Bxf5 12. g4 Re8+ 13. Kd1 Bxb1 14. Rxb1 Qf6 15. gxh5 Qxf3+ 16. Kc2 Qxh1 17. Qf2 Black resigns.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Ortiz Suarez wins D.C., Smirin wins the World
- SANDS: Fourth time a charm as Troff captures U.S. junior chess title
- SANDS: Campaigning and competing on Capitol Hill
- SANDS: Kasparov, new caucus mark first congressional chess tourney
- SANDS: Sometimes a chess queen is too powerful for her own good
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
- Islamic militants aim to take Baghdad airport
- Colorado man offers Obama a toke of marijuana a Rocky Mountain 'high'
- Facebook allows 'Kill Kendall Jones' page, but deletes her game hunting photos
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener