- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
AP Photos: Cannes red carpet gets Bond girl flair
Question of the Day
Berenice Marlohe, the newest Bond girl, has been making the red carpet at the 65th annual Cannes Film Festival look like a day at the beach.
One day it was a gold lame gown by Emilio Pucci with a black lace insert on the halter top; on another it was a black lace Roberto Cavalli with a deep V-neck complemented by a chainlike Swarovski crystal necklace.
Also getting attention is Naomi Watts, who has shown a deep closet full of custom-made looks: a Marchesa gown in champagne with feathers and embroidery, a blush-colored Calvin Klein gown with spaghetti straps, a sleeveless cocktail dress with a gray iridescent top and ostrich-feather skirt from Gucci, and a floral-print, sequin-dotted Cavalli with a gold-detailed black blazer.
The Marchesa gown had custom-dyed, hand-stitched feather flowers “cascade down the dress to create an airy and ethereal effect,” said designer Georgina Chapman.
Calvin Klein designer Francisco Costa thought his sexy slip dress design suited Watts perfectly. “Naomi was the epitome of classic, yet modern glamour in this sensual, sculpted dress,” he said. “She looked absolutely flawless.”
Kirsten Dunst had a very feminine moment in a demure, white dress by Dolce & Gabbana. She wore her hair swept in an updo decorated with flowers.
For another event, Dunst was in fuchsia Dior.
Many runway models are part of Cannes’ fashion show, too, among them Karolina Kurkova in a paillette-covered, V-neck halter by Cavalli with a mermaid hem and long, dangling ruby-and-diamond earrings by Bulgari, and Erin Wasson in a multi-colored beaded-fringe gown by Oscar de la Renta. Irina Shayk wore a cream-and-silver sequined Cavalli minidress with a fringed hemline.
Some fashion statements are coming from the men, especially with their shoes. Brad Pitt paired white lace-ups with his khaki Gucci suit, and Ewan McGregor wore spectator brogues with his navy Marni striped jacket and trousers.
By John McAfee
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow