- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Inside China: U.S. missions subtle threat to China’s regime
Question of the Day
So far, none of the Chinese leadership team has taken up “Comrade Locke‘s” undeclared challenge.
HUGE REVENUES FROM SECOND-CHILD FINES
The Chinese government amassed an estimated $20 billion from “extra-birth fines” levied against parents of the estimated 13 million children whose births are considered illegal under China’s draconian one-child policy, according to a rare report published last week in the latest edition of Chinese Economy Weekly.
According to a statement from the State Family Planning Commission that was obtained by the magazine, the state-mandated fine for having a second child is so severe that almost no one can afford it.
“Our government calculates the basic disposable income for an urban resident is 26,738 yuan [$4,244]. The fine for having a second child will be nine times of that, i.e. 240,642 yuan [$38,197],” the official statement says.
In other words, one person in violation of China’s one-child policy would have to forfeit all of his disposable for nine years just to pay the fine.
• Miles Yu’s columns appear Thursdays. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world