- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
Nearly 21M viewers for ‘Idol’ finale a new low
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - Nearly 22 million TV viewers seems like a lot _ but for an “American Idol” season-ender, it’s a new low.
The crowd that tuned in Wednesday night when bluesy guitar man Phillip Phillips won the “Idol” crown constituted the smallest for an “Idol” finale in its history, according to final Nielsen Co. figures.
The audience of 21.5 million was down by nearly one-third from the 29.3 million viewers who saw country singer Scotty McCreery’s victory a year ago, an audience total that had rebounded by 20 percent from the finale in 2010.
The Fox singing competition has experienced ratings erosion during this entire season, its 11th.
ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars” finale show on Tuesday night also drew its lowest audience ever for a season-capper, averaging 17.5 million viewers, down 18 percent from a year ago.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- UHLER and FERRARA: Obamacare, the end of the progressive era
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow