- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
NFL and on-field officials agree to mediation
WASHINGTON (AP) - The NFL and its referees' union have agreed to federal mediation.
George Cohen, director of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, will conduct the talks between the on-field officials and the league. Cohen also mediated between the NFL and its players' union before last year's lockout.
No dates or sites have been announced for the mediation, and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says, "The goal is to negotiate an agreement."
The officials' contract with the league expired after the 2011 season. The NFL is looking into replacement officials if a new deal is not reached by the preseason.
In 2001, replacement officials were used for one preseason game and the first week of the regular season before a contract was finalized.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.