- Russia sends bombers on 24-hour Arctic patrol
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gays
- Houston dad kills boy, 17, in daughter’s room in mistaken ID tragedy
- Rep. David Jolly ready to work with Democrats on compromise
- Joe Biden: I can’t be president — my golf would suffer
- German authorities grab suspected hardline Islamist
- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
- Obama economy: Rich get richer, as millionaires’ list grows
- Army’s ‘Most Wanted’ fugitive on lam since 1977 nabbed in Florida
- ‘Seinfeld’-loving fraudsters busted on ID theft — of Eric Holder
Egypt’s top candidates try to broaden support
Third runner-up calls for vote recount
Hafez Abou Saada, a veteran rights activist and an election observer, said violations such as vote buying and busing in voters were limited but there were more significant problems in the process of tallying votes at regional counting centers. He said the violations were not sufficient to force a new vote but could be cause for a recount.
“The differences are very tight and the aggregation of votes can be difficult,” he said.
Observers were largely not allowed to attend that process, but candidate deputies were present.
Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter also said Saturday that his center was restricted in its monitoring mission, but the process was generally acceptable and violations won’t affect the runoffs.
“I don’t think the mistakes and errors and improprieties that we have witnessed in the last few days will have a negative impact on the runoff,” he told reporters.
Associated Press writer Sarah El Deeb contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick's parade that won't allow gays
- BRUCE: The power of 'bossy'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014