- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Concert on National Mall shut down by thunder
Question of the Day
WASHINGTON (AP) - The National Memorial Day Concert has been canceled due to a line of thunderstorms that moved into the District of Columbia on Sunday night.
About halfway into the concert, an annual event on the National Mall, host Gary Sinise told the audience there was a severe weather warning and advised concertgoers to leave and seek shelter.
Mike Musher of the National Weather Service says the thunderstorms developed over Pennsylvania as part of the weather system that created record high temperatures in the Midwest on Sunday.
The Memorial Day concert, broadcast by PBS, features songs from pop and country performers, patriotic music from military bands and stories of heroic acts by U.S. troops. Country singer Trace Adkins and rock band Daughtry had already performed before the plug was pulled Sunday.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq