Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said Sunday that more than $500 billion in defense-related cuts scheduled to kick in early next year would be “disastrous” to national security and begged lawmakers to restore the money.
The cuts were included in last summers bipartisan debt and budget agreement that allowed the White House to raise the debt ceiling. Since then, members of Congress from both parties have pushed to undo the Pentagon’s portion of the $1.2 trillion “sequestration” budget cuts that also target nondefense domestic programs.
“I think what both Republicans and Democrats need to do, and the leaders of both sides, is to recognize that if sequester takes place, it would be disastrous for our national defense, and very frankly, for a lot of very important domestic programs,” Mr. Panetta said on ABC’s “This Week.”
“They have a responsibility to come together and find the money necessary to de-trigger sequester.”
“We provided a budget that, we think, meets not only the goal of savings, but also, more importantly, protects a strong national defense for this country,” he said.
However, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, has taken a hard line on keeping the automatic cuts in place, saying last week that he wouldn’t accept Republican attempts to do away with them.
In Sunday’s appearance on ABC’s “This Week,”Mr. Panetta also left open the possibility of military strikes against Iran should negotiations fail to halt the Islamic republic’s suspected nuclear weapons program.
“The international community has been unified. We’ve put very tough sanctions on them, as a result of that,” he said. But “we have plans to be able to implement any contingency we have to in order to defend ourselves.”
The secretary’s words were in response to a question about recent comments made by American ambassador to Israel Daniel B. Shapiro that the U.S. already has made preparations for a potential strike on Iran.
The U.S. and five other nations in recent days have been in talks with Iran regarding its nuclear program.
“The most important point is that we’re not going anyplace,” he said. “We’ll continue to work with [Afghan officials] on counterterrorism. We’ll continue to provide training, assistance, guidance. We’ll continue to provide support.”
The heads of the House and Senate intelligence committees, upon returning from a trip to Afghanistan earlier this month, said the Taliban has grown stronger since President Obama’s deployment of 33,000 more troops to Afghanistan in 2010.View Entire Story
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Sean Lengell covers Congress and national politics and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
'Your papers, please' must never be heard in America
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
News and reviews of notable museums, and exhibits, and art events.
When you need to know who is making business, and what business is being made, you need the Business Browser.
From raising children to identifying educational and service options for your children, Speaking of Family is where you can write...
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall