- Russia claims to have downed U.S. drone over Crimea region
- John Daly shoots 90 at PGA Tour event: ‘I’m falling apart’
- Police: Man arrested in West Virginia may be linked to Alexandria killings
- Smile: Equipping cops with body-mounted cameras gains steam in Calif., N.Y.
- Obama to sign bill cutting taxpayer money for party conventions
- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
- Iraq mulls law to let men marry 8-year-old girls
- Russia sends bombers on 24-hour Arctic patrol
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gays
Noren to play US Open; Monty, Olazabal miss out
WALTON HEATH, ENGLAND (AP) - Alex Noren of Sweden qualified for the U.S. Open for the second straight year, while past and present European Ryder Cup captains Colin Montgomerie and Jose Maria Olazabal failed to do so.
“I went through this qualifying last year. It proved a turnaround in my season because I have always wanted to play a U.S. Open,” Noren said. “I played Congressional last year where Rory (McIlroy) won and played all four rounds, so I was really pleased. It’s just great to be going back again.”
Warren will make his debut at a major after two prior attempts, in 2007 and 2008, to qualify from Walton Heath.
“I couldn’t be more happy and really looking forward to the championship,” he said.
The other qualifiers were: France’s Gregory Bourdy and Raphael Jacquelin, England’s Lee Slattery and Matthew Baldwin, Italy’s Matteo Manassero, Denmark’s Soren Kjeldsen, Finland’s Mikko Illonen, South Africa’s George Coetzee and Ireland’s Peter Lawrie.
Montgomerie revealed he made a 900-mile round trip on Sunday from Wentworth to the Scottish Open so he could use a new putter at Walton Heath.
The Scot, who led Europe to victory in the 2010 Ryder Cup, shot 68 and 70.
Olazabal shot 67 and 74.
The U.S. Open is June 14-17 at Olympic Club in San Francisco.
By Tammy Bruce
Sheryl Sandberg, Beyonce are bossy women trying to ban bossy from our vocabulary
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick's parade that won't allow gays
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- As Ukraine crisis simmers, U.S. transport planes heading to Poland
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014