- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
Obama to honor fallen troops on Memorial Day
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is paying tribute to the men and women who have died defending America, saying that for the first time in nine years Americans “are not fighting and dying in Iraq” and the war in Afghanistan is “winding down.”
But he also says the pain of war lingers for the families of those lost in battle, and Obama notes that small groups of mourners can be seen at Arlington National Cemetery daily, not just on Memorial Day.
Obama spoke to an audience gathered under a brilliant sun at Arlington, saying “these 600 acres are home to Americans from every part of the country who gave their lives in every part of the globe.”
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said “all the men and women who rest here are a constant reminder that freedom is not free.”.
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.