- - Monday, May 28, 2012

CAIRO — A mob set fire late Monday to the campaign headquarters of one of the two Egyptian presidential politicians facing each other in a runoff that will decide a new leader after last year’s popular uprising.

The attack on Ahmed Shafiq’s office came just hours after the country’s election commission announced that he would face the Muslim Brotherhood’s candidate, Mohammed Morsi, in a June 16-17 runoff.

The second round pitting Mr. Shafiq, who was ousted President Hosni Mubarak’s last prime minister, against Mr. Morsi, backed by the country’s most powerful Islamist movement, is a nightmare scenario for the thousands of Egyptians who took to the streets last year to demand regime change, freedom and social equality.

Many of the self-styled revolutionaries say they want neither a return to the old regime, nor Islamic rule.


U.S. drone kills five Islamic militants

SANAA — A U.S. drone strike Monday aiming for an al Qaeda leader has killed five militants in the country’s south as part of a Yemeni offensive against the Islamist group, Yemeni officials said.

They said the airstrike targeted Qaid al-Dahab, a local leader of al Qaeda, in a convoy of three cars near the town of Radda, 100 miles south of the capital, Sanaa. Four militants were wounded. The officials said Al-Dahab’s fate was not yet known.

Al-Dahab’s sister was the wife of Anwar al-Awlaki, the U.S.-born radical militant cleric killed by a U.S. drone strike last fall.

There was no immediate word from Washington on the latest strike.


Father of Tiananmen Square protester hangs himself

BEIJING — The father of a man killed in the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown has hanged himself in protest after more than two decades of failed attempts to seek government redress, a support group said Monday.

The group, known as the Tiananmen Mothers, said 73-year-old Ya Weilin’s body was found in an unused underground parking garage below his residential complex in Beijing. He was thought to have killed himself on Friday.

An obituary the group posted on its website said that according to Mr. Ya’s family, he had carried a note that detailed his son’s death and declared that he would die in protest because the issue had not been addressed for more than 20 years.

Story Continues →