- Arkansas voter ID law struck down by state judge
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Bad omen? Italian man crushed to death by John Paul II crucifix
- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
Economy Briefs: Home prices rise in most major American cities
Home prices rise in most major American cities
Home prices rose in March from February in most major U.S. cities for the first time in seven months. The increase is the latest evidence of a slow recovery taking shape in the troubled housing market.
The Standard & Poor’s/Case-Shiller home price index shows that prices increased in 12 of the 20 cities it tracks.
Three of the weakest markets reported signs of improvement. Prices increased in Tampa, Fla., and Miami, while prices in Las Vegas were unchanged.
The biggest month-over-month increases were in Phoenix, Seattle and Dallas. Prices dropped sharply in Detroit, Chicago and Atlanta.
The increases partly reflect the beginning of the spring selling season. The month-to-month prices aren’t adjusted for seasonal factors.
The overall index of 20 cities was essentially unchanged in March, after falling 0.8 percent in February.
FedEx buying company for undisclosed sum
MEMPHIS | FedEx says it will expand in Latin America with its purchase of a Brazilian transportation and logistics company.
FedEx is buying Rapidao Cometa Logistica e Transportes SA, one of the largest logistics companies in Brazil. Rapidao has been its authorized representative in Brazil for 11 years.
With Rapidao, FedEx is getting about 770 vehicles and trailers, approximately 9,000 workers in Brazil and 45 branches.
Terms of the deal were not released.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Only IRS employees could expect rewards for failing to pay their taxes
- Holder cancels appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Gun control supporters send message to NRA
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Nevada rancher's racial remarks cost him range of support
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014