- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
- Florida cops ticket toddler in toy convertible: report
- Kerry warns of ‘very serious’ response to Crimea-Russia alliance
- Fla. Rep. Alan Grayson’s wife drops restraining order against him
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Reframing the marriage debate
Jeffrey T. Kuhner is spot-on in explaining the so-called same-sex-marriage deception being foisted upon Americans ("Obama's homosexual America," Commentary, May 11).
As the words continue to flow in Minnesota to prepare us here for the pending pro-marriage amendment vote in November, we keep saying what marriage is not rather than what it is. I fear the battle is being lost in the wording, and I sense Minnesota will be the first state to deny the definition of marriage as between one man and one woman by direct vote instead of legislative or judicial fiat.
If we continue to use soft, familiar words, we risk becoming comfortable with the words and failing to teach the true nature of the act behind them. Somehow we have to change the argument from one of "equality and fairness" to one of "difference and redefinition," allowing recognition of proper order and distinction between behaviors. There is nothing equal about marriage and same-sex unions. We have so little time to make people understand as much.
St. Paul, Minn.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
Get Breaking Alerts
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- VIDEO: Emily Miller on Fox Business on Vivec Murthy for surgeon general and smart guns
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- After three days, Redskins finally address defensive needs
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wind power less harmful to wildlife
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Constitutional rights are God-given
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Clinton still too inexperienced for presidency
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The recipe for Asia-Pacific stability
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama delivering on 'flexibility' vow to Moscow