- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
- Big Sur wildfire destroys home of firefighting chief
- ‘ ’Twas the Night Before Christmas’ set for mock trial to argue authorship
- Angela Merkel’s third term as Germany’s chancellor to be marked by move to left
- Mega Millions entices with record-setting jackpot: Half a billion so far
- Dennis Rodman heads to North Korea — despite execution, political purge
AP sources: Conference USA set to expand by 5
UTSA went 4-6 in its inaugural football season under Larry Coker as an independent in FCS last year, but the program has sought to accelerate its national profile. The school will play in the Western Athletic Conference as scheduled this year before moving to Conference USA.
Louisiana Tech has been in the WAC since 2001, and is coming off an 8-4 season under first-year football coach Sonny Dykes.
FIU has been in the Sun Belt since 1998, two years before North Texas joined that league.
North Texas shared the first Sun Belt football title in 2001, then won the championship outright the following three seasons. The Mean Green went to the New Orleans Bowl as the league’s representative four consecutive seasons.
The Mean Green are coming off a 5-7 season after Dan McCarney became their coach. North Texas was 13-58 the previous six years.
The Denton campus of more than 28,000 undergraduate students is just north of Dallas and Fort Worth, not far from Conference USA’s headquarters in Irving, Texas. With its addition to that league next year, UNT will replace SMU as the school closest to the conference office.
AP Sports Writers Steve Reed in Charlotte, N.C., and Jim Vertuno in Austin, Texas, and AP College Football Writer Ralph D. Russo in New York contributed to this report.
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- PRUDEN: The scam that will not die
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest
- Robert E. Lee and 'Stonewall' Jackson tributes face Army War College removal
- Wasted: Tom Coburn's 'Wastebook targets 70 days in bed, Facebook
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- OBAMASCARE: Huge premium hikes rock employer-insured workers
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- ISTOOK: Enlarging his rule, shrinking the Constitution
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- 5 million fall into Obamacare coverage gap
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow