- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Indiana-Kentucky series coming to an end
Last year, the border-state rivals played two of the season’s most memorable games — Indiana’s 73-72 win in Bloomington and a 102-90 shootout at the NCAA’s regional semifinals in Atlanta, which served as a springboard for Kentucky’s latest title run.
The Hoosiers and Wildcats also have met three other times in postseason play since 1969, all on neutral courts. Kentucky is 3-1 in the four postseason meetings.
These are two of the nation’s most prestigious basketball schools. Both are ranked among the nation’s top 15 programs in victories, with Kentucky topping the list. Only UCLA (11) has won more national titles than the Wildcats (eight) and those are the only two programs that have more championship banners than Indiana (five). North Carolina also has won five national titles.
The schools played four times from 1924 to 1928, then didn’t meet again until 1940. After Indiana lost its second straight in the series, in 1944, the teams met only one other time (1965) before the series restarted in 1969.
Associated Press freelance writer James Pennington in Lexington, Ky., contributed to this story.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- PIPES: Islam's inadvertent adverse effects on adherents
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again