ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A Minnesota man remained hospitalized in critical condition Wednesday following surgery to remove a fireworks explosive from his chest.
Regions Hospital spokeswoman Annelise Searle in St. Paul says the police bomb squad was summoned to the operating room as surgeons worked on Nick Beheng. Doctors found an unexploded fireworks device lodged in his chest.
The Anoka County Sheriff's Department says the 31-year-old Linwood Township suffered massive chest injuries Saturday when he used a hand-held metal mortar tube to launch two rockets. The first rocket went off as planned. The second blew out the bottom of the tube and injured Beheng.
Sheriff's Cmdr. Paul Sommer tells the Star Tribune any explosive that leaves the ground is illegal in Minnesota.
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com