- Eric Holder: ‘Racial animus’ fuels opposition to Obama and me
- Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl to return to active duty at Fort Sam Houston
- Israel says it’s downed drone along southern coast
- Despite offensive, Gaza rockets still hit Israel
- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
Canadian police think body-parts suspect is overseas
Question of the Day
OTTAWA (AP) — A porn actor wanted in a case in which body parts from a dismembered corpse were mailed to places including the Conservative Party headquarters might have fled North America, Canadian police said Thursday.
The 29-year-old Mr. Magnotta has been added to Interpol’s list of wanted persons.
“We believe he may be in a foreign country,” Cmdr. Lafreniere told the Associated Press. “He left a letter on a website mentioning how to disappear for good, and secondly our investigation brought us some details that might let us think that he could be away from the country.”
Cmdr. Lafreniere said police have an idea where he might have fled, but he declined to say where.
Cmdr. Lafreniere also said police have been trying to take down an online video that they believe shows Mr. Magnotta committing the murder. The video shows a man stabbing another man with an ice pick while the victim lies naked and tied up. The first man later reveals he has slashed the other man’s throat. He also dismembers the corpse and performs sexual acts with it.
Cmdr. Lafreniere said authorities were able to take down the video Tuesday night but that it keeps reappearing online.
“It’s horrible. I can’t believe people take advantage of watching this,” he said.
The case began Tuesday when police found a man’s torso in a suitcase behind Mr. Magnotta’s apartment and a severed foot was found in a package mailed to the Conservative Party headquarters in Ottawa. A hand was found in a separate package at a postal facility, addressed to the Liberal Party of Canada.
Other body parts remain missing, and Cmdr. Lafreniere said police are investigating the possibility that other body parts might have been mailed. It wasn’t clear why the body parts were mailed to party offices.
Police said Mr. Magnotta is also known by the names Eric Clinton Newman and Vladimir Romanov. They described him as white and 5 feet 8 inches tall with blue eyes and black hair. A police official said he was a porn actor.
His Internet presence indicates he is a bisexual porn actor and model.
Mr. Magnotta, from Peterborough, Ontario, was renting an apartment in a working-class Montreal neighborhood. Police in masks combed through the blood-streaked apartment Wednesday.
Mike Gauthier, who has lived in the building for three years, said Mr. Magnotta’s apartment was emptied before he apparently vanished in recent days. There were no clothes and no books inside, he said.
Few tenants said they knew Mr. Magnotta, who had lived in the building only for about four months. They described him as a feminine man who was quiet and aloof but pleasant at times.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Emeryville, Calif., police chief: Guns aren't for defense
- Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi formerly a U.S. captive
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
- Obama's 'blank check' rejected as border solution
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs