- Associated Press - Thursday, May 31, 2012

GREENSBORO, N.C. — John Edwards’ campaign finance fraud case ended in a mistrial Thursday when jurors acquitted him on one charge and deadlocked on the other five, unable to decide whether he used money from two wealthy donors to hide his pregnant mistress while he ran for president and his wife was dying of cancer.

The monthlong trial exposed a sordid sex scandal, but prosecutors couldn’t convince jurors the candidate masterminded a cover-up using about $1 million, and ultimately, jurors decided tawdry didn’t necessarily mean criminal.

“While I do not believe I did anything illegal, or ever thought I was doing anything illegal, I did an awful, awful lot that was wrong and there is no one else responsible for my sins,” Mr. Edwards said on the courthouse steps.

The jury’s decision came on a confusing day. The judge initially called jurors in to read a verdict on all six counts, before learning that they had only agreed to one. About an hour later, the jury sent the note to the judge saying it had exhausted its discussions.

When the not guilty verdict was read, Mr. Edwards choked up, put a single finger to his lip and took a moment to compose himself. He turned to his daughter, Cate, in the first row and smiled.

When the judge declared the mistrial and discharged the jury, Mr. Edwards hugged his daughter, his parents and his attorneys. Later, he thanked the jury and his family, even choking up when talking about the daughter he had with his mistress Rielle Hunter. He called Francis Quinn Hunter precious “whom I love, more than any of you can ever imagine and I am so close to and so, so grateful for. I am grateful for all of my children.”

Then he started talking about his future.

“I don’t think God’s through with me. I really believe he thinks there’s still some good things I can do and whatever happens with this legal stuff going forward, what I’m hopeful about is all those kids that I’ve seen, you know in the poorest parts of this country and some of the poorest parts in the world that I can help them,” he said.

Mr. Edwards would have faced up to 30 years in prison and $1.5 million in fines if convicted of all charges. He did not testify, along with his mistress Rielle Hunter and the two donors whose money was at issue.

Jurors acquitted him on a charge of accepting illegal campaign contributions, involving $375,000 from elderly heiress Rachel “Bunny” Mellon in 2008. He had also been charged with illegally accepting $350,000 from Mellon in 2007, other donations from wealthy Texas attorney Fred Baron, filing a false campaign finance report and conspiracy.

The jurors, who deliberated nine days, did not talk to the media as they left the courthouse. Several media organizations, including The Associated Press, have filed a motion asking for the names to be released but the judge has refused to release the information for at least a week.

Federal prosecutors are unlikely to retry the case, a law enforcement official told the Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the decision will undergo review in the coming days.


The trial recounted the most intimate details of Mr. Edwards’ affair with Ms.  Hunter, including reference to a sex tape of the two together that was later destroyed. It also rehashed the elaborate cover-up that involved his most trusted aide, the aide’s wife, and Mr. Baron and Ms. Mellon.

It featured testimony that sometimes read like political thriller, as aide Andrew Young described meeting Mr. Edwards on a secluded road, and Mr. Edwards warning him, “you can’t hurt me.” There was also the drama of John Edwards’ wife, Elizabeth, tearing her shirt off in front of her husband in a rage after a tabloid reported the affair.

Mr. Edwards was accused of masterminding a plan to use the money to hide Hunter from the media and from his breast cancer-stricken wife. Prosecutors said Mr. Edwards knew of the roughly $1 million being funneled to Mr. Young and Ms. Hunter and was well aware of the $2,300 legal limit on campaign donations.

In closing arguments, prosecutor Bobby Higdon used Mr. Edwards’ own campaign rhetoric about the need for the rich and poor to have an equal say in elections — what he called uniting the “two Americas.”

“Campaign finance laws are designed to bring the two Americas together at election time,” Mr. Higdon said. “John Edwards forgot his own rhetoric.”

Mr. Edwards’ attorneys said prosecutors didn’t prove that Mr. Edwards knew that taking the money violated campaign finance law. They said he shouldn’t be convicted for being a liar, and even if he did know about some of the money, it was a gift, not a campaign contribution.

“This is a case that should define the difference between a wrong and a crime … between a sin and a felony,” attorney Abbe Lowell told the jury. “John Edwards has confessed his sins. He will serve a life sentence for those.”

They also said the money was used to keep the affair hidden from his wife, not to influence his presidential bid.

Neither the Democrat nor his mistress took the witness stand during about four weeks of testimony.

Mr. Baron died in 2008 and Ms. Mellon, who is 101 years old, did not testify.

Mr. Edwards met Ms. Hunter in a New York hotel bar in 2006 and they spent the night together. She soon joined his campaign, and despite a lack of filmmaking experience, the politician arranged a $250,000 contract for her to make a series of behind-the-scenes documentaries from the campaign trail.

Word of the affair eventually got back to Mr. Edwards’ wife. On Dec. 30, 2006, the day Mr. Edwards officially announced his bid for president at an event in his hometown of Chapel Hill, Elizabeth Edwards bumped into Ms. Hunter for the first time and became visibly upset, according to testimony. She told her husband to get rid of her, and while Ms. Hunter officially left the campaign, John Edwards continued to meet with her on the road.

Ms. Hunter became pregnant in the summer of 2007. As her belly began to show that September, tabloid reporters began tailing her. Within weeks, the Youngs had set up Ms. Hunter in a $2,700-a-month rental home not far from the Edwards estate in Chapel Hill, using the donated money.

In October 2007, a day after a tabloid reported the affair, Elizabeth Edwards blew up at her husband, according to testimony from former adviser Christina Reynolds. Mr. Edwards’ now-deceased wife stormed away from her husband at a private hangar, collapsing into a ball on the pavement. After composing herself in a nearby ladies room, Elizabeth Edwards ripped off her shirt and bra and screamed, “You don’t see me anymore!” As staffers scrambled to cover her up and whisk her into a car, her husband boarded a jet and headed to a campaign event in South Carolina.

That December, in an attempt to contain the scandal, Mr. Young issued a statement claiming the baby was his. Prosecutors presented phone records showing Mr. Edwards and Mr. Young — and Mr. Young and Mr. Baron — talked with each other that day and claimed they conspired to come up with the plan.

About a month later, Mr. Edwards’ presidential campaign began to fold with poor showings in the early presidential primary states. Even before he officially suspended his presidential campaign at the end of January 2008, Mr. Edwards had begun wooing the campaigns of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton for a spot in their administration, perhaps as vice president.

Meanwhile, Ms. Hunter was on the run with the Youngs. Mr. Baron let them stay at his vacation mansion in Aspen, Colo., and paid for them to live in a $20,000-a-month manor in Santa Barbara, Calif. Ms. Hunter gave birth to Francis Quinn Hunter in February 2008.

Records at trial showed Mr. Baron paid Ms. Hunter a $9,000 monthly cash allowance, on top of providing flights on private jets and stays at luxury resorts.

The deposits began in June 2008 — several months after Mr. Edwards ended his White House run — and continued until December 2008, two months after Mr.  Baron died.

The timing of the payments may have been important. The defense argued most of the money was spent after Mr. Edwards ended his presidential bid. Prosecutors claim Mr. Edwards was still seeking the Democratic vice presidential nomination or a future appointment as attorney general.

Although Mr. Edwards’ attorneys have conceded he had some limited knowledge of Mr. Baron’s support for Ms. Hunter, they deny he knew anything about $725,000 provided to Mr. Young by the wealthy heiress Mellon, an ardent supporter of Mr. Edwards’ campaign.

Mr. Edwards admitted to the Hunter affair in August 2008. Days later, he met with Mr. Young briefly on a secluded road near the Edwards estate outside Chapel Hill. According to Mr. Young’s testimony at the trial, the two talked about the secret checks Ms. Mellon had provided to the campaign aide.

“I didn’t know about these, did you?” Mr. Edwards said, according to Mr. Young.

Worried he was being taped, Mr. Young lied and said no. Mr. Young told Mr. Edwards he had kept evidence of the cover-up, including voicemails, emails and the tape that purportedly showed Mr. Edwards and Ms. Hunter having sex. He said he threatened to go public if Mr. Edwards didn’t come clean about the baby.

“You can’t hurt me, Andrew,” Mr. Edwards told Mr. Young as he opened the door to get out, Young said. “You can’t hurt me.”

Mr. Edwards announced he was the father of Francis Quinn Hunter in January 2010, nearly two years after she was born and his candidacy ended.

Elizabeth Edwards died in late 2010.

The jurors, whose identities were withheld throughout the trial, asked to see dozens of trial exhibits during deliberations, relating to Ms. Mellon and Mr. Baron’s donations. Some jurors raised eyebrows in recent days by wearing matching colored shirts to court, and one alternate juror was said to be flirting with Mr. Edwards. Judge Eagles warned the jury on its sixth day of deliberations not to discuss the case in small groups.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide