- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
2012 James Beard restaurant and chef award winners
NEW YORK (AP) - The winners of the 2012 James Beard Foundation restaurant and chef awards announced Monday are:
NATIONAL CHEF AWARDS
_ Best new restaurant
Next in Chicago
_ Outstanding chef
Daniel Humm of Eleven Madison Park in New York
_ Outstanding pastry chef
Boulevard in San Francisco
_ Outstanding restaurateur
_ Outstanding service
La Grenouille in New York
_ Outstanding wine and spirits professional
Paul Grieco of Terroir in New York
_ Outstanding wine program
No. 9 Park in Boston
_ Outstanding bar program
PDT in New York
_ Rising star chef of the year
REGIONAL CHEF AWARDS
_ Great Lakes
Bruce Sherman of North Pond in Chicago
Maricel Presilla of Cucharamama in Hoboken, N.J.
Tory Miller of L’Etoile in Madison, Wisc.
_ New York City
Michael Anthony of Gramercy Tavern in New York
Tim Cushman of O Ya in Boston
Matt Dillon of Sitka & Spruce in Seattle
Matt Molina of Osteria Mozza in Los Angeles
Chris Hastings of Hot and Hot Fish Club in Birmingham, Ala.
Hugh Acheson of Five and Ten in Athens, Ga.
Linton Hopkins of Restaurant Eugene in Atlanta
Paul Qui of Uchiko in Austin, Texas
_ James Beard Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award
_ James Beard Foundation Humanitarian of the Year
James Beard Foundation Who’s Who of Food & Beverage in America Inductees
_ Grant Achatz, chef and author, Chicago
_ Mark Bittman, journalist and author, New York
_ Dana Cowin, editor-in-chief at Food and Wine magazine, New York
_ Emily Luchetti, pastry chef and author, San Francisco
_ Marvin Shanken, publisher, New York
James Beard Foundation America’s Classics
_ The Fry Bread House in Phoenix
Owner: Cecelia Miller
_ Nora’s Fish Creek Inn in Wilson, Wyo.
Owners: Nora Tygum, Trace Tygum and Kathryn Tygum Taylor
_ St. Elmo Steak House in Indianapolis
Owners: Stephen Huse and Craig Huse
_ Jones Bar-B-Q Diner in Marianna, Ark.
Owners: James and Betty Jones
_ Shady Glen in Manchester, Conn.
Owners: William and Annette Hoch
By Tom Harris and Madhav Khandekar
Bad science puts rich nations on the hook for trillions in climate liabilities
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Puerto Rico caravan honoring Paul Walker ends in 6 drunken-driving arrests, 72 speeding tickets
- HURT: Postal Service misses address by a whole continent
- First Dog Sunny knocks down Ashtyn Gardner; Michelle Obama yanks leash
- EDITORIAL: Motor City meltdown
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Allen West warns Obamas backdoor gun control is moving forward
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Does it take over 25 years in public service to really know what goes on in Washington?
Despite cynicism about the law, it can provide you justice, protection, and ensure your rights.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch