- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
American Scene: NRC chair says no timetable for nuke plant restart
LOS ANGELES — The chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Monday there is no timetable for restarting the sidelined San Onofre nuclear plant on the Southern California coast and a federal review of its troubled tubing will take whatever time is necessary to complete.
The statement from Chairman Gregory B. Jaczko came just days after a senior executive for operator Southern California Edison disclosed that the company was hoping for a possible June restart.
The twin reactors have been offline for more than three months while investigators look into excessive wear on tubing in the plant’s steam generators.
The agency is waiting for documentation on repairs and other work at the plant.
“Any discussion of a date for the restart of Unit 2 or Unit 3 is clearly premature,” Mr. Jaczko said. “We will take whatever time is necessary to conduct a thorough safety review.”
A restart would require federal approval.
Last week, Edison Executive Vice President Stephen E. Pickett said the company was looking at the possible June restart. The company is drafting a plan under which the twin reactors would run at reduced power, at least for several months, because engineers think that will solve a problem with vibration that has been causing unusual wear in alloy tubing.
Costs related to the long-running shutdown could climb over $100 million, company officials said, and state officials have warned about possible rotating blackouts in Southern California with the reactors offline.
AG changes Sandusky shower allegation date to ‘01
HARRISBURG — Pennsylvania prosecutors in Jerry Sandusky’s child sexual abuse case say they now think the alleged assault that ultimately led to football coach Joe Paterno’s firing took place a year earlier than they first claimed.
The attorney general’s office said in a Monday filing that investigators concluded the alleged attack on a young boy in the football team showers took place around Feb. 9, 2001.
A grand jury report issued before the former Penn State assistant coach’s arrest in November dated it March 1, 2002.
Prosecutors have said they don’t know who the boy was. Mr. Sandusky has denied the charges.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Warren Buffett's son to spend $23.7 million in effort to save South African rhinos
- Military families would take a $5,000 hit in benefits with Obama budget
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again