- Associated Press - Tuesday, May 8, 2012

GUNTOWN, Miss. (AP) — Police have filed kidnapping charges against the wife of a man suspected of killing a Tennessee woman and her oldest daughter and kidnapping the woman’s two other daughters.

As an intense manhunt for Adam Mayes and the two young girls continued, his wife, Teresa Mayes, and mother, Mary Mayes, were arraigned in a Hardeman County, Tenn., courtroom on Tuesday. Mary Mayes, 65, was charged with conspiracy to commit kidnapping.

An affidavit states that Teresa Mayes, 30, told investigators she drove Jo Ann Bain and her daughters from Hardeman County in western Tennessee, where they lived, to Union County, Miss., where Adam and Teresa Mayes lived with his parents.

Calls to the attorneys assigned to represent the two women were not immediately returned.

The bodies of Mrs. Bain and her 14-year-old daughter, Adrienne, were found last week behind the home where the Mayes family lived.

A combination image shows (clockwise from top left) Jo Ann Bain and her daughters, Adrienne, 14, Kyliyah, 8, and Alexandria, 12. (AP Photo/Mississippi Department of Public Safety)
A combination image shows (clockwise from top left) Jo Ann Bain and ... more >

Twelve-year-old Alexandria Bain and 8-year-old Kyliyah Bain still are missing.

Authorities have said that 35-year-old Mr. Mayes was a family friend who was staying with the Bains on April 27, the night that Mrs. Bain and the children disappeared.

In an interview with the Associated Press on Tuesday, Teresa Mayes‘ sister, Bobbi Booth, said her sister told her last week that she knew about the killings, but Ms. Booth thinks Teresa Mayes may have been too scared to call the police.

Teresa started to call, text and Facebook constantly on Thursday,” Ms. Booth said.

Ms. Booth told her sister to call the police and was assured that she had, but by Saturday Ms. Booth had become suspicious about that claim and called police herself.

“I told them exactly what she had told me: who the bodies were, where they could be dug from,” Ms. Booth said.

As it turned out, investigators had begun digging in the Mayeses’ backyard the previous day.

Kristin Helm, spokeswoman for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, said she was unaware of Mrs. Booth having called about the killings but said she might have called a different law enforcement agency.

Mrs. Bain’s husband, Gary Bain, last saw his wife and daughters when he woke up briefly in the early hours of that morning. By the time he got up, they were gone, but he did not know they were missing until after the girls failed to come home from school.

Mr. Mayes and Mr. Bain, who once had been married to sisters, had been planning to drive some of the family’s belongings to Arizona the next day because the family was moving there.

Story Continues →