- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
‘The Voice’ crowns second-season champion
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jermaine Paul was front and center on “The Voice.”
The 33-year-old background singer from Harriman, N.Y., was declared the winner of the NBC singing competition Tuesday.
Paul, who was coached by country singer and “Voice” mentor Blake Shelton, was awarded the show’s grand prize of $100,000 and a record deal with Universal after crooning R. Kelly’s “I Believe I Can Fly” for his final solo performance Monday.
“I just want to say thank you to everybody that supported me from day one,” said Paul through tears.
Juliet Simms, the 26-year-old indie rocker from San Francisco who was coached by Cee Lo Green, came in second place. She was followed by Tony Lucca, the 36-year-old former Mouseketeer from Detroit, who was guided by Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine. Chris Mann, the 30-year-old classical singer from Wichita, Kan., who was shepherded by pop diva Christina Aguilera, rounded out the final four.
Javier Colon won the first season of “The Voice” last year.
Follow AP Entertainment Writer Derrik J. Lang on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/derrikjlang.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- EDITORIAL: Senate rejects Adegbile for Justice post
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again