- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Panetta’s carbon-footprint hypocrisy
Question of the Day
Victor Davis Hanson wrote a wonderful Op-Ed pillorying a number of this administration's Cabinet secretaries, calling into question the competence of Timothy F. Geithner, Kenneth L. Salazar, Steven Chu, Eric H. Holder Jr. and Hilda L. Solis ("Cabinet gone wild," May 3).
I am curious, though, why Mr. Hanson didn't include Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta in his pantheon of ideologues. Mr. Panetta has pushed for vast increases in what military members will be forced to pay for their medical care, has advocated wrecking the military's retirement system through a comprehensive "modernization" based on a 2011 Defense Business Board recommendation that focused on "fairness," and appears to be standing idly by while disastrous cuts to the Defense Department loom on the horizon.
I guess these are but minor issues. After all, Mr. Panetta can't possibly be concerned with such pedestrian matters when he has to refocus the entire Pentagon on climate change. Notwithstanding peer-reviewed studies showing a decade of cooling, an increase in polar-ice volume and the flourishing of the polar bear population (the alleged decline of which has been a key metric used by leftist hand-wringers around the world as a clear sign of impending doom) Mr. Panetta announced to the world on May 1, "[T]he area of climate change has a dramatic impact on national security." He then rattled off the usual concerns: rising sea levels, drought, etc.
But isn't it interesting that Mr. Panetta's concerns about climate change end when he climbs aboard his taxpayer-funded Gulfstream jet for his frequent junkets home to California? With carbon dioxide being belched into the atmosphere and all, you'd think he would be a bit more concerned. Actually, Mr. Panetta's actions closely mirror those of the rest of the leftist crowd that comprises Team Obama.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- RAHN: When money mischief goes global