- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Brainwashed into bashing
Question of the Day
I recently had a heated argument with my brother about voting. My brother is one of the poor who has a really bad outlook on life. I thought he, my sister and I were all on the same page when it came to politics because we are all independent voters, but I was wrong.
When I asked if he planned to vote, my brother said no and unloaded a barrage of epithets about both parties, in stating that they are only interested in themselves and not the poor. He ranted about the cost of gas and food and how he can't make any money. Not being employed, he goes around picking up junk on the roadside. He refurbishes old lawn mowers and discarded items that he then sells in his yard sales. He survived this way until President Obama was elected and the economy dropped off.
I argued that there is a reason he is miserable: Mr. Obama's policies have caused so many of the problems related to making a buck in this country. Mr. Obama's tight regulations on oil companies have a ripple effect that caused refineries to shut down, causing food and gas prices to go up, which affected the economy as a whole.
Still, my brother knocked Republicans and presidential candidate Mitt Romney for being rich and privileged. I retorted, "Where the heck did you get that garbage? Don't you watch the news?" He responded with, "I watch it every day." Finally, the root of the problem was brought to light. I thought my brother had been watching Fox News like my sister and I do, getting a fair assessment of what goes on in the world. Apparently, he has been brainwashed by the "lame-stream" media. Therein lies the cause of his bad attitude.
GREGORY J. TOPLIFF
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
Get Breaking Alerts
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals