- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
American Scene: Planned Parenthood sues Oklahoma over WIC funding
Question of the Day
For the first time, the California Air Resources Board will auction off pollution permits on Wednesday called “allowances” to hundreds of businesses, including electric companies and refineries.
Some of the businesses regulated under California’s plan say the extra costs will result in higher electricity rates and job losses.
UPS bows to pressure, ends grants to Boy Scouts
ATLANTA — The UPS Foundation says it will no longer give grants to the Boy Scouts of America as long as the group excludes gays and lesbians from being Scouts or Scout leaders.
The philanthropic arm of the Atlanta-based shipping giant made the change Thursday after an online petition protesting the foundation’s annual grants to the Boy Scouts attracted more than 80,000 signatures. The UPS Foundation gave $150,000 to the Boy Scouts in 2010. It wasn’t clear how much they gave the group last year.
UPS spokeswoman Kristen Petrella says groups applying for the grants will have to adhere to the same standards UPS does. The company says it does not discriminate against anyone based on race, religion, disability or sexual orientation.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world