- Pfc. Bradley Manning’s name change to Chelsea heads to court
- NYPD’s attempt at positive Twitter outreach campaign proves to be an epic fail
- Michigan man among first in U.S. to get ‘bionic eye’
- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
- Sen. Boozman of Arkansas has emergency heart surgery
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
NBCUniversal lays off about 450 in budget cuts
LOS ANGELES (AP) - NBCUniversal is laying off about 450 people, or roughly 1.5 percent of its workforce of about 30,000, in a round of belt-tightening that began in September.
That's according to a person familiar with the matter.
Separate divisions within the entertainment giant owned by Philadelphia-based Comcast Corp. were asked to recommend how they could be more efficient.
The affected include about two dozen people laid off at "The Tonight Show" months ago; several dozen who worked on shows that were canceled at pay TV channel G4; and about two dozen in the DVD unit at film studio Universal Pictures.
Some of the affected employees were informed Monday. The person was not authorized to speak publicly and requested anonymity.
The layoffs were reported earlier by the entertainment industry website, Deadline.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, renegade
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- ORTEL: Putin sees opportunities as Obama turns away
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
- Michelle Obama: Obama family Sundays are more for napping than church
- Bonuses given to IRS employes who owed back taxes
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.