- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Taking Names: Sambora covers personal ground on new album
On his new solo album, Richie Sambora has a lot to say about his past. But after two vigorous months of promoting it, the Bon Jovi guitarist found himself on doctor-ordered vocal rest.
The 53-year old rocker canceled a string of shows in the Northeast because of laryngitis, but he’s ready to return to the stage Tuesday in Los Angeles in support of “Aftermath of the Lowdown.” He plans to donate and match a portion of ticket sales to the Red Cross to help with Superstorm Sandy relief efforts.
Last month, he told The Associated Press that the experience is much different than promoting an album from his band, Bon Jovi.
And it all comes down to talking.
“I’m used to the first eight questions going to Jon, and now I have to be ready for all of them,” Mr. Sambora joked.
True to its title, “Aftermath of Lowdown” covers a lot of personal ground for the rocker, including his much-publicized divorce from Heather Locklear, his ongoing battle with alcohol and substance abuse, and the virtues of being a parent.
“It’s the kind of stuff that a lot of people go through, so I decided to write about it,” Mr. Sambora said.
Mr. Sambora said one of the lowest moments in his life came when he was arrested in 2008 for DUI with his 10-year old daughter Ava in the car. He calls that incident a turning point in his life
Since kicking his dependency on alcohol and prescription painkillers, Mr. Sambora admits everything in his life has fallen into place. He now enjoys a good relationship with Miss Locklear as they work together to raise their daughter.
“She’s a teenager now and needs two parents,” Mr. Sambora said. “So we do a lot of things as a family.”
$40M in damages cut by half for ‘Girls Gone Wild’ creator
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Joanne O’Donnell issued the ruling Friday, reducing the award by $21 million. Her ruling eliminates $20 million in punitive damages the jury granted Mr. Wynn and $1 million they said he deserved because of comments Mr. Francis made on “Good Morning America.”
Mr. Francis vowed to appeal the remainder of the verdict.
“Judge O’Donnell committed a judicial error by allowing this case to even proceed to a trial, and she knows it,” Mr. Francis said. “This is only the first step of her backpedalling and unwinding her illegal actions in order to try to keep her job as a judge.”
Mr. Francis‘ lawyers also have argued the statements on “Good Morning America” were not part of the initial case and shouldn’t be included in the judgment.
The trial, which ended in September, centered on Mr. Francis‘ repeated claims that he was told Mr. Wynn had threatened to hit him in the head with a shovel and have him buried in the desert. Mr. Wynn denied making such threats and claimed they damaged his reputation and put his casino license at risk.
Mr. Francis testified that he heard about the claims from Grammy-winner Quincy Jones, who told the jury that no such statements were made.
Judge O’Donnell’s ruling states that the jury had no evidence to support awarding punitive damages in the case. “The jury’s punitive damage award was speculative and clearly the result of the jury’s dislike of the defendant and/or his businesses,” the judge wrote.
Mr. Wynn is the CEO of Wynn Resorts Ltd. and designed Las Vegas’ Mirage, Bellagio, Wynn and Encore casinos. After the trial, Mr. Wynn called Mr. Francis a “digital assassin” and said he hoped the large verdict would discourage others from taking what he described as cheap shots.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.