- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation in South Korea
- Militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
SANDS: Sorting fact from fiction in chess’ hazy past
1. d4 e6 2. c4 Bb4+ 3. Bd2 Qe7 4. e4 Nf6 5. Bxb4 Qxb4+ 6. Qd2 Qxd2+ 7. Nxd2 d6 8. f4 c5 9. dxc5 dxc5 10. e5 Ng4 11. Bd3 Nc6 12. h3 Nb4 13. Be4 f5 14. hxg4 fxe4 15. Ke2 O-O 16. Nh3 b6 17. a3 Nd3 18. Ke3 Bb7 19. g3 h6 20. b3 Rad8 21. Nxe4 Rd4 22. Nd6 Bxh1 23. Rxh1 Nb2 24. Nf2 g5 25. Nde4 gxf4+ 26. gxf4 Rfd8 27. Nd6 b5 28. Nxb5 Rd3+ 29. Nxd3 Rxd3+ 30. Ke4 Rxb3 31. Nd6 Nd3 32. Rh2 Rxa3 33. f5 exf5+ 34. gxf5 Nb4 35. f6 Ra1 36. f7+ Kf8 37. Rxh6 Re1+ 38. Kf5 Rf1+ 39. Ke6 Kg7 40. Rh4 Nc6 41. Nf5+ Kf8 42. Rh8 mate
1. e4 d6 2. d4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. Be3 a6 5. a4 Nf6 6. h3 0-0 7. Nf3 Nc6 8. Be2 e5 9. d5 Ne7 10. Nd2 c6 11. Nc4 cxd5 12. Bb6 Qd7 13. exd5 Nf5 14. 0-0 Qe7 15. Re1 Bd7 16. Ra3 Rac8 17. Rb3 Nh5 18. Bf1 Nh4 19. Rb4 Nf4 20. Ne3 Rxc3 21. bxc3 e4 22. Bd4 Nxh3+ 23. gxh3 Nf3+ 24. Kh1 Qh4 25. Qxf3 exf3 26. Bxg7 Qxf2 27. Bxf8 Kxf8 28. Rbb1 Qg3 29. Red1 f2 30. Bg2 Bxh3 31. Rd3 f5 32. Rf1 f4 33. Rxf2 Qxf2 White resigns
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: High-powered Webster claims second straight college chess crown
- SANDS: Rematch point: Chess champions, challengers often meet again
- SANDS: Steady Anand earns rematch with Carlsen for world chess title
- Anand earns rematch against Carlsen for chess title
- SANDS: Anand in command as candidates tourney nears chess finale
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.