- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
Signs point to Redskins’ Pierre Garcon being back in action Sunday
Garcon was limited during practice Wednesday, but he did run pass routes and cut during positional drills.
“He’s been doing that the last couple days, which is a big plus because he hadn’t been doing that for a long time,” coach Mike Shanahan said. “It’s a good sign.”
“It’d be good to have him back,” Griffin said. “He has looked good. Like I told him, we’re going to have many great seasons, many great games together, so we might as well go ahead and start it now.”
“The whole week we’ll work on our timing, getting that back,” Griffin said. “But I threw to him all offseason, so it’s just a matter of getting that channeled back in, and I think we’ll be able to do that.”
Secondary sticks to plan
The Redskins enter Week 11 as one of three teams on pace to break the NFL record for most passing yards allowed in a season.
Washington’s 30th-ranked pass defense has been a collective failure, but coverage breakdowns have been a major focus.
Coming off the bye week, cornerback DeAngelo Hall said not to expect changes to the defensive scheme. Instead, players need to apply lessons learned during recent individual meetings with coaches.
“I don’t know schematically what we would change,” Hall said “We’ve got to finish games. We’ve got to make plays. I made the comment a couple times: We’ve had some great calls, and just we blew it. We blew it personally. A lot of that re-evaluating goes back to just re-evaluating yourself, seeing how you can get better, seeing what techniques you can brush up on and work out and get a little better at.
“I feel like we’ve done that, personally. Guys have sat down with coaches, met one-on-one, to kind of figure out what they can do to get better at. Hopefully, you’ll see it this week and through the rest of the season. Even if we’re not auditioning for this team, we’re auditioning for somebody, so the thought that guys aren’t going to be out there laying it on the line is just not the case.”
Last year’s Green Bay Packers set the record by surrendering 299.75 passing yards per game.
Washington has allowed 301.7 this season. Only Tampa Bay (321.3) and New Orleans (307.3) have surrendered more.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- HURT: D.C. gets the vapors, calls sequester too much
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- Obama mocks Putin, picks gay athletes for Sochi delegation
- EDITORIAL: Al Gore, soothsayer
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- PRUDEN: The scam that will not die
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow