- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
College football: Week 11 preview
No. 10 FLORIDA STATE (9-1, 6-1 ACC) at MARYLAND (4-6, 2-4)
Where: Byrd Stadium
TV/radio: ESPNU, 980 AM
Outlook: Florida State leads series 20-2 and has won the last five meetings. So what happens when the nation’s No. 1 total defense encounters a team starting a linebacker at quarterback that ranks last in the country in total offense? It’s time to find out. Freshman Shawn Petty makes his third straight start for the Terrapins and looks to move past his three-turnover day in Saturday’s loss at Clemson. That won’t be an easy task against the Seminoles, who can clinch the ACC’s Atlantic Division title with a victory. One recent bright spot for the Terps is tailback Brandon Ross, who has 28 carries for 166 yards over the last two weeks.
VIRGINIA TECH (4-6, 2-4 ACC) at BOSTON COLLEGE (2-8, 1-5)
When: 12:30 p.m.
Where: Alumni Stadium, Chestnut Hill, Mass.
TV/radio: Chs. 5, 13, 106.7 FM
Outlook: Virginia Tech leads series 14-6 and has won the last four meetings. The Hokies have dropped five of their last six as their worst season in two decades continues to unravel. The most realistic accomplishment left on the table is bowl eligibility, which requires victories over Boston College and Virginia over the next two weeks. In Virginia Tech’s six losses, quarterback Logan Thomas has thrown six touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Boston College wideout Alex Amidon (73 receptions and 1,157 yards) ranks fourth nationally in receiving yards per game.
TEXAS STATE (3-6) at NAVY (6-4)
When: 3:30 p.m.
Where: Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, Annapolis
TV/radio: CBS Sports Network, 1500 AM, 1050 AM
Outlook: First meeting. The Midshipmen look to improve to 4-1 in Annapolis this season in their final home game of the season. Navy will look to regroup on defense, where it allowed 597 total yards last week against Troy. Slotback Gee Gee Greene has rushed for more than 100 yards in two of the last three games and needs 75 yards to reach the 2,000-yard plateau for his career. Former Mids slotback Marcus Curry, who was dismissed from the academy in 2010, resurfaced with the Bobcats and has rushed 513 yards and nine touchdowns this season for coach Dennis Franchione.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Patrick Stevens has covered Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic college sports for more than a decade. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- George Mason's defense dissipates in 84-74 loss to Northeastern
- Maryland's Pe'Shon Howard willing to let others put ball in the basket
- At 7-5, George Mason looks on the bright side entering CAA play
- Terps beat IUPUI, set for ACC after final tuneup
- Maryland's Jake Layman shows signs of progress in freshman season
Latest Blog Entries
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.