- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
Resale of the week: 20-foot-ceilings, open plan in Chevy Chase
Soaring ceilings, walls of glass, skylights and an open floor plan make a custom home on the market in Chevy Chase a year-round retreat. The unique stucco-and-stone contemporary home sits on an impeccably landscaped lot as the house blends in with its natural surroundings.
Not your average cookie-cutter-style house, the home was designed by Deck House, a company known for architecture that blends homes with the outdoor environment by using flowing interior spaces and lots of glass.
The house was built using post-and-beam construction techniques. It also includes several types of natural wood, including red cedar ceiling and decking, mahogany-trimmed windows and doors, and maple and oak flooring.
Situated on a quarter-acre lot at 4713 Essex Ave. in the town’s Somerset neighborhood, the home is on the market for $1,895,000.
Although it was custom built in 1996, this house includes all of the conveniences and amenities you’d expect to find in newer homes, as well as many additional features.
There are two attached garages, one in front and one behind the home. The front garage can hold up to four cars, and the rear garage can house three cars. The garage space is in addition to plentiful parking available in the driveway.
As winter approaches, the home’s new owners will appreciate the stamped-concrete driveway with a system in place that melts away snow.
Inside the five-bedroom home, guests will be impressed by the dramatic 20-foot cathedral and vaulted ceilings in several of the rooms. There’s also a two-story foyer hall with tile floors and a staircase leading to the upper level.
The foyer opens directly into the airy living and dining space with its upper-level overlook. Walls lined with windows ensure that plenty of natural lighting flows through the rooms.
The living room has a two-story wall of windows and glass doors that help blur the line between indoor and outdoor space. Maple and oak floors are found in the two rooms, adding to the sophisticated but rustic feel of the home.
There’s also a gas fireplace with a marble surround in the room, making it the ideal place to enjoy a cold winter evening. Stylish glass-and-wood built-in cabinets are found in the two rooms. However, the bulk of the built-ins are in the dining area, where a long row of cabinets and counter space make entertaining a breeze.
This dining area flows straight into the well-appointed kitchen, which features wood cabinetry, a workspace desk, an oversized refrigerator and a granite-topped center island with blue pendant light fixtures hanging above it.
During the warmer months, family members can enjoy easy access to the great outdoors, as doors in the living room open onto a large exterior deck that provides scenic yard views. Doors off the dining area open onto a screened-in rear porch.
A laundry room, powder room and master bedroom suite round out the main floor. The master bedroom has the other side of the dual-sided fireplace in the living room. The spacious bedroom also has a door that leads onto the deck as well as a walk-in closet and a full bath with a stand-up shower.
Three more bedrooms and a full bath are on the upper level, while a fifth bedroom and a third full bath can be found on the finished lower level. The lower level also features a spacious recreation room with recessed lights and a large above-ground picture window.
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- Senators reach deal on unemployment benefits
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- Kerry warns of 'very serious' response to Crimea-Russia alliance
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again