- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
Ref Corrente fined for obscenities
NEW YORK (AP) - Referee Tony Corrente has been fined one game check by the NFL for uttering some obscenities with his microphone on during a Nov. 4 game in Indianapolis between the Colts and Miami Dolphins.
The fine was issued Friday by NFL officiating director Carl Johnson.
A referee of Corrente’s experience _ 18 seasons _ earns approximately $9,000 a game.
In the fourth quarter of the game, Corrente inadvertently left his microphone open during a conference with members of the officiating crew. During that conference, Corrente used obscenities that were heard by the crowd and the CBS television audience.
Johnson says the conduct “is inappropriate for a game official.”
Corrente has apologized to the Colts organization.
It’s rare for the league to announce discipline for game officials. One other recent case was in 2007 when umpire Jim Quirk pulled down Green Bay linebacker Nick Barnett down from behind in a choke hold during a skirmish in a game at Soldier Field in Chicago.
Quirk also lost a game check, worth $8,150, for “inappropriate physical contact with players.”
Quirk was involved in a similar incident with Falcons running back Jason Snelling on a kickoff return in an Atlanta-Tampa Bay game that year. And Quirk brought down Arizona’s Elton Brown in a similar fashion earlier that season.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- List Hillary Clinton's successes? State Dept. spokeswoman flubs answer
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014