- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Alex Smith declared out for Monday night
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith has been declared out for Monday night’s game against Chicago with a concussion.
Team medical director Dr. Dan Garza evaluated Smith, who was hurt eight days ago against St. Louis.
The 49ers will start second-year quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who replaced Smith in the 24-24 tie with the Rams last week.
Chicago also is without starting quarterback Jay Cutler because of a concussion. Jason Campbell will start.
Smith practiced on a limited basis during the week, but could not pass tests under the NFL’s concussion treatment protocol to allow him back on the field against Chicago.
Smith has made 28 consecutive starts and led the 49ers to a 6-2-1 record this season. He was injured during the first half against the Rams and left the game midway through the second quarter.
Last season, his first under coach Jim Harbaugh, Smith led the 49ers to a 13-3 record and within an overtime loss to the Giants of a spot in the Super Bowl.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.