- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Alex Smith declared out for Monday night
Question of the Day
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith has been declared out for Monday night’s game against Chicago with a concussion.
Team medical director Dr. Dan Garza evaluated Smith, who was hurt eight days ago against St. Louis.
The 49ers will start second-year quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who replaced Smith in the 24-24 tie with the Rams last week.
Chicago also is without starting quarterback Jay Cutler because of a concussion. Jason Campbell will start.
Smith practiced on a limited basis during the week, but could not pass tests under the NFL’s concussion treatment protocol to allow him back on the field against Chicago.
Smith has made 28 consecutive starts and led the 49ers to a 6-2-1 record this season. He was injured during the first half against the Rams and left the game midway through the second quarter.
Last season, his first under coach Jim Harbaugh, Smith led the 49ers to a 13-3 record and within an overtime loss to the Giants of a spot in the Super Bowl.
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world