Albrecht Muth, the Georgetown man who claims to be an Iraqi army general and says his 91-year-old wife’s death was a botched assassination attempt by Iranian agents, has received a cease-and-desist letter from the Iraqi Embassy, according to court records.
The embassy’s cease-and-desist email, as well as testimony from a Georgetown gallery owner who specializes in high-end gifts and engravings — and who drafted some “Iraqi certificates” for Mr. Muth, for which he never paid — are mentioned in court documents as two of pieces of evidence to be used at the 48-year-old’s coming trial for charges of killing Viola Drath.
Mr. Muth, who legally changed his name to Count Albi and ordered a tailor-made camel-colored military costume, will be returning to D.C. Superior Court on Dec. 3 for a mental health observation hearing where a judge will determine whether he is mentally competent to stand trial.
Drath, a German-born woman who became a fixture in Embassy Row social circles, was found unresponsive in the couple’s Georgetown row house in mid-August 2011. Her injuries indicated she had been beaten and strangled.
Days later, Mr. Muth was arrested in connection with her death and has remained in custody, despite his claims that Drath’s death was caused by an Iranian hit job gone awry.
In February, Mr. Muth went on a hunger strike in the D.C. Jail, claiming the Archangel Gabriel directed him to starve himself. He was admitted to St. Elizabeths Hospital and the bulk of hearings in the case have examined whether he is competent to stand trial.
A letter from doctors filed in court Friday confirmed what prosecutors have said all along: Mr. Muth is diagnosed with a litany of mental disorders, but he can go on trial.
In the mental examination report from hospital CEO Patrick Canavan, he stated that while Mr. Muth suffers from a personality disorder with “narcissistic, antisocial and schizotypal personality traits” that are exacerbated by alcohol, he does not recommend that Mr. Muth stay at St. Elizabeths.
“[He] has maintained a factual understanding of court material, and monitoring of his physical health could occur in another setting,” the letter states.
Specialists for the U.S. attorney’s office in the past have confirmed that Mr. Muth is a “masterful manipulator.” Defense attorneys have not presented medical findings but have said they will fight against a ruling that deems their client fit for trial.
This is the second letter the hospital has sent confirming Mr. Muth’s competency — the first was sent in early September — and is the first to say that he can leave the hospital.
In the most recent letter from Mr. Canavan, he stated that Mr. Muth took up another fast in September — around the time he was first deemed competent to stand trial — and made a number of trips to the hospital to receive treatment for dehydration.
Since then, he made progress drinking milk and tea, and requested sandwiches as his preferred meal.
Despite starving himself, doctors stated in the report that “Mr. Muth’s mental status has remained stable over the last several months.” While he has not cooperated with his attorneys in the past, “it is believed that he could do so.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Rand Paul
Obama acts as though we no longer have a Constitution
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
A politically conservative and morally liberal Hebrew alpha male hunts left-wing viper
A collection of communities writers columns on Benghazi
Positive propaganda for a nation in peril.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention
California wildfires wreak havoc