- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Strangled by unions
In 2008, newly elected President Obama uttered those now famous words to the unions: “I owe you.” Now, four years later, the very first Monday after his re-election, he summons the union leaders to the White House to once again thank them for delivering.
How are the unions responding? Already, the Transportation Security Administration employees at Los Angeles International Airport have threatened to strike on Thanksgiving eve if they do not get an increase in benefits. Further, Hostess Brands Inc., owner of the bakeries that produce Twinkies, is closing up shop, laying off about 18,000 workers, and possibly moving to Mexico — all because they can’t remain competitive because of union demands (“Hostess to close, cites nationwide worker strike,” Web, Friday).
I’m afraid that this is just the beginning. What if the truckers union decides to strike? Imagine the paralysis that would cause. What about the garbage collectors and the AFL-CIO workers? Any of the above would result in a major disruption to our daily lives.
With their newfound muscle, the sky’s the limit for unions. They’re holding us by the throats and all we can do is grimace and yell, “Uncle!”
RICHARD P. SHINN
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable