- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to President Clinton, book claims
- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
AP source: Angels agree to send Haren to Cubs
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the trade had not been completed.
The deal was first reported by the Chicago Sun-Times. A spokesman for the Cubs declined to comment.
Marmol’s contract gives him the right to submit a list of up to five teams he can’t be traded to without his consent.
Haren, a three-time All-Star from 2007-09, would be the second starting pitcher traded by the busy Angels in three days. Los Angeles shipped Ervin Santana to the Kansas City Royals on Wednesday for minor league left-hander Brandon Sisk.
The Angels had until midnight EDT on Friday to exercise Haren’s $15.5 million option for next season. He had a $3.5 million buyout. The 32-year-old right-hander went 12-13 with a career-worst 4.33 ERA in 30 starts this year and was on the disabled list for the first time.
The 30-year-old righty was 3-3 with a 3.42 ERA in 61 appearances this year. He had 20 saves in 23 chances but walked 45 in 55 1-3 innings.
Marmol is set to make $9.8 million next season and then can become a free agent. He had a career-best 38 saves in 2010, when he struck out 138 in 77 2-3 innings and finished an NL-high 70 games.
AP Sports Writer Ronald Blum contributed to this report.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.