- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
AP source: NHL cancels Winter Classic at Big House
Question of the Day
The signature event between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs is the latest casualty from the labor dispute that has put the season on hold, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press on Friday. The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the league had not yet announced the move, said the NHL will schedule its next Winter Classic at the iconic stadium that seats more than 100,000 people.
There have been no labor negotiations since Oct. 18, when the players’ union countered a league offer with three proposals. Those were all quickly rejected by the NHL. Since then, a league-imposed deadline to play a full season has passed, and last week the NHL cancelled all games through Nov. 30.
Detroit and Toronto, two of the league’s Original Six teams, were scheduled to play outdoors on Jan. 1 at the stadium known as the Big House and the league was hoping the matchup would break the world record for hockey attendance. Michigan and Michigan State’s hockey teams drew a record 104,173 fans in 2010.
Buffalo, Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have all hosted the Winter Classic, but the crowd for a game at Michigan Stadium was expected to draw the league’s largest crowd with tens of thousands of fans coming from Canada to see its first team play in the event. The last Classic at Philadelphia’s Citizens Bank Park drew 46,967, and the New York Rangers beat the host Flyers 3-2.
The labor dispute, which began Sept. 16, had already forced 326 games to be wiped out from Oct. 11 through Nov. 30, but losing the sixth annual outdoor extravaganza is the biggest blow yet for the league and its players.
In the rental agreement between the NHL and the University of Michigan, there was a clause regarding a cancellation due to a work stoppage. If the game was called off by Friday, the NHL would lose only a $100,000 deposit that it already paid. The league would incur further losses, including paying back Michigan for expenses it made, if a decision to wipe out the game came after Friday.
The cancellation is a strong reality check that this fight between the league and the players’ association has no end in sight. The sides have remained in contact in recent days, but none of those discussions have led to any new negotiations.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and players’ association special counsel Steve Fehr have spoken several times over the course of this week and seem to be moving closer to setting up a time to get together.
Daly said that Superstorm Sandy didn’t prevent the sides from returning to negotiations this week.
“No meetings have been scheduled yet, but we have had an ongoing dialogue,” Daly wrote in an email to The Associated Press on Friday.
The NHL has already said that it will be impossible to play a full regular-season because of the lockout, and even if the league is able to reschedule some games that were previously called off, it seems unlikely that the Winter Classic can be moved to a new date or location this season.
The league has said a deal needed to be completed by last week in order to have a full season, beginning on Nov. 2. It didn’t happen. The All-Star game, and perhaps the entire season, could be next on the chopping block.
In its most recent proposal, the NHL offered the union a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenues, which exceeded $3 billion last season, but that offer was rejected. The players responded with their three offers that went nowhere.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq