- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to Clinton, mascot claims
Safarova to open Fed Cup final against Ivanovic
“It would be great to start with a lead,” Safarova said at the draw ceremony at Prague City Hall. “That’s what I’m going to try and I’m looking forward to.”
Eighth-ranked Petra Kvitova, who led the Czechs to a 3-2 victory over Russia last year, will play Jelena Jankovic _ another former No. 1 _ in the second singles match on indoor hard courts at the O2 Arena on Saturday.
Kvitova has recovered in time from a viral illness that forced her to pull out of the WTA Championships last week.
“I feel very good. I practiced yesterday one hour and something and it was quite OK,” Kvitova said. “It’s a big end of the season, we play at home and I play for the team, for the Czech Republic and that makes me strong.”
“It’s very special occasion for all of us,” Jankovic said. “We’re all here to do our best.”
In doubles, the Czech pair of Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka, who reached the U.S. Open and Wimbledon finals this season, will play Bojana Jovanovski and Aleksandra Krunic.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.