- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Nation Briefs: FBI: 4 California men charged in terrorism plot
UPLAND, Calif. — Four Southern California men have been charged with plotting to kill Americans and destroy U.S. targets overseas by joining al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan, federal officials said Monday.
The defendants, including a man who served in the U.S. Air Force, were arrested and charged with plotting to bomb military bases and government facilities, and for planning to engage in “violent jihad,” FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
A federal complaint unsealed Monday says Sohiel Omar Kabir, 34, of Pomona introduced two of the other men to the radical Islamist doctrine of Anwar al-Awlaki, a now-deceased al Qaeda leader. Mr. Kabir served in the Air Force from 2000 to 2001.
The other two — Ralph Deleon, 23, of Ontario, and Miguel Alejandro Santana Vidriales, 21, of Upland — converted to Islam in 2010 and began engaging with Mr. Kabir and others online in discussions about jihad, including posting radical content to Facebook and expressing extremist views in comments.
They later recruited Arifeen David Gojali, 21, of Riverside.
Girl, 13, fatally shot on school bus
MIAMI — A 13-year-old girl was fatally shot in front of her sister and several other students while riding the bus to a charter school Tuesday, Miami-Dade police said.
A male student was in custody but authorities did not release his name or age and said they are still interviewing him. A gun was also recovered at the scene in Homestead, south of Miami, but authorities didn’t say where or how many times the victim was shot.
“We still don’t know what the motive may have been,” said police spokesman Detective Alvaro Zabaleta.
Eight other children, including the victim’s 7-year-old sister, were on the bus but were not harmed.
Authorities took the children and the bus driver to a police station to be interviewed.
San Francisco board OKs limit on public nakedness
SAN FRANCISCO — City lawmakers disappointed committed nudists on Tuesday by narrowly approving limits on public nakedness despite concerns the measure would undermine the city’s reputation as a sanctuary for free expression.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- MEANS: U.S. economy on schedule to crash March 4, 2014
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again