- Oklahoma gay-marriage case before U.S. appeals court
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
Review: Rihanna brings the goods on 7th album
Rihanna, “Unapologetic” (Island Def Jam Music Group)
There’s something about Rihanna. And her producers.
The singer’s new album _ her seventh in seven years _ is like many of her other releases, full of songs that are catchy, fun and addictive. Her albums are almost like listening to a “NOW” compilation disc.
“Unapologetic” is no different. It’s full of future hits, and not a single miss.
“Phresh Out the Runaway,” which kicks off the album, does so with a bang. And there are more: “Pour It Up,” which has Rihanna sounding like a female version of The-Dream, is appealing; “Jump” samples Ginuwine’s “Pony” _ and it’s surprisingly good; and the David Guetta-helmed “Right Now” is European-flavored and upbeat.
Even Rihanna’s duet with her ex Chris Brown on “Nobody’s Business,” which samples Michael Jackson’s “The Way You Make Me Feel,” will make you move your feet. Lyrically though, the song is somewhat dismissive. “Ain’t nobody’s business,” she sings. OK, then stop tweeting one another.
When Rihanna slows it down, she’s still on point: Her duet with singer Mikky Ekko on the piano-tune “Stay” is touching; the mid-tempo first single, the Sia-penned “Diamonds,” is enjoyable; and “What Now” builds nicely from its calming verse to its electrified hook.
CHECK OUT THIS TRACK: “Pour It Up” is the jam.
Follow Mesfin Fekadu on Twitter at http://twitter.com/MusicMesfin
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.