- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stand with Israel, stand with democracy
Question of the Day
Until now, Mr. Obama has succeeded only in prolonging conflict in this region of the world, namely in Syria and Libya. Unfortunately, he has no ability to bring pressure on Hamas or Egypt, which has now shown its true colors in the conflict by supporting Hamas.
Certainly, Israel has lost patience and rightly so, with the continuing, indiscriminate rocket attacks from Gaza now reaching Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. No sovereign nation can stand by idly as its major population centers are endangered. Iran and Syria obviously have chosen to activate their anti-Israel terrorist organizations, Hamas and Hezbollah as well as others, to present a diversion from their own political and military problems.
The international community, with its support for the Arab world, has not acted either morally or ethically in this. It is time that Israel is given the go-ahead signal by Mr. Obama and all nations dedicated to democracy to end the threat from Gaza by eliminating its rocket supply and further access to missiles through the Sinai by force rather than by words.
It will be a test for the Obama administration of whether we stand for democracy and the right to self-defense or whether we desert our most trusted ally in the region.
Silver Spring, Md.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?