- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Lindsay Lohan: Actress says return to red carpet ‘feels great’
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lindsay Lohan arrived an hour late to the red carpet to celebrate the premiere of “Liz & Dick” but basked in the media frenzy — saying it felt good to have the focus on her work as an actress.
“It feels great to be on a red carpet for working hard. It feels good,” Lohan said.
Lohan went for an old-Hollywood glamour look in a slinky ivory slip dress, her long hair wavy and parted on the side with ruby red lips. Lohan plays screen icon Elizabeth Taylor in the made-for-TV film about her romance with Richard Burton that airs on Lifetime Sunday at 9 p.m. EST.
“I wasn’t going to let them make the movie without me, first of all,” joked Lohan. “I harassed (executive producer) Larry Thompson. But just because it’s such an iconic story of love and defeat and loving it and Elizabeth Taylor was such an icon of mine and so many other people’s that it was an important film to depict correctly.”
“Well Lindsay Lohan wanted it. That was really the big difference,” said Thompson. “She evidenced in her words and looking at me in the eyes that needed it, she could relate to Elizabeth Taylor, she felt that she could bring an inner essence other than just being a good actress.”
Lohan said she felt similarities with Taylor: “She grew up with her mom mostly and so have I and also living your life in the public, I think that’s the main one. It’s hard but I think there are certain people that are, I look to her because she got through it.”
Lohan has made headlines for problems with cocaine, alcohol and driving that landed her in a Los Angeles-area jail for about two weeks in 2010, and a shoplifting charge that put her on house arrest.
Brushes with the tabloids continued during the filming of “Liz & Dick,” when she was involved in a car accident that sent her and her assistant to a hospital. She was cleared of accusations in both Los Angles and New York that she clipped people with her car.
Thompson acknowledged “there were days as reported that making the right decision was easier than living with the right decision. But it was the right decision nonetheless.” He added that in her heyday, Taylor was “a handful, too.”
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.