- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Man killed at illegal poker game in Laurel
Question of the Day
A 43-year-old man who was at an apparent illegal gambling operation in a Laurel apartment was shot and killed by men targeting the location Tuesday night.
The victim, identified as James Thomas Cornell of the 8300 block of Montgomery Run Road in Ellicott City, was pronounced dead at the scene.
At about 11:45 p.m. Tuesday, at least three masked men who knew the apartment was used as a gambling location came to an apartment at the 11600 block of South Laurel Drive, said Officer Edward Martin, a department spokesman. During a poker game, the men came in, firing shots and killing Mr. Cornell.
Police could not say why the men were targeting the apartment or how many people were there at the time of the shooting. He also could not say if Mr. Cornell ran the poker game.
Officer Martin said the incident is under investigation.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Megan Poinski is the former deputy metro editor at The Washington Times. She has worked as a reporter, editor and web designer for more than a decade, covering mostly local, state and federal government in Ohio, Maryland and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Throughout her career, she has received reporting awards from the Scripps Howard Foundation, Capitolbeat, and Associated Press Managing ...
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq