- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
RG3’s traits passed down from father
Question of the Day
Asked which of Robert III’s plays he likes best through 10 games, he contemplated a few. The 88-yard touchdown pass to Pierre Garcon in the season opener against New Orleans was special because of the hit he absorbed as he threw.
But Robert Jr. ultimately cited as his favorites the handful of deep passes that have slipped through receivers’ hands. Those plays are evidence of what his son still has to accomplish.
“I expect him to execute,” Robert Jr. said.
Robert III does, too. That’s why he smiled late last Sunday afternoon as he walked up the ramp that leads out of FedEx Field. He had just thrown four touchdown passes and completed all but one of his 15 passes in a blowout win over division-rival Philadelphia. All the hills he ran and video he watched and nights he stayed home were for games like that.
The son pulled a suitcase behind him, flanked by security guards. Hundreds of fans who had gathered at the metal barriers hoping to glimpse their hero began chanting “R-G-3! R-G-3!”
He acknowledged them as he walked past. He strolled into the night and slipped into his car. He had an important phone call to make.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
Latest Blog Entries
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq