- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- U.N. school in Gaza caught in cross-fire; 15 killed
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Union thuggery kills Hostess
Question of the Day
Elections have consequences. We are just starting to realize the effects as the iconic American company Hostess closes its 33 bakeries, 565 distribution centers and 570 bakery outlet stores throughout the United States, declares bankruptcy and prepares to lay off 18,500 employees (“A last-minute reprieve for Twinkies?” Web, Monday). Union thugs must be thrilled they got their way and put that “greedy” American corporation out of business.
Instead of accepting an 8 percent decrease in pay and a little more contribution toward their benefits package, the union members chose instead to strike, bankrupting the company. So now they will likely get zero pay instead of 92 percent and no benefits. All over America, many other companies are scaling back their worker numbers or going out of business because of the Obamacare mandate, burdensome regulations and higher taxes on small business.
Therefore, it makes sense to me that those who voted for President Obama should be the first to be let go, since they rejected pro-growth moves and prosperity by voting for four more years of the same — economic decline, debt and bloated government. Employers can easily identify them in the company parking lot by the Obama bumper stickers on their cars.
Berwyn Heights, Md.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare enrollees faking for freebies